Today we are going to discuss what forms are needed for printing W-2s and 1099s using Enhanced Tax Reporting. Due to the addition of the 1099-NEC the 1099 form product numbers may have changed. The following forms are required for printing:
- The employee copy is printed on the blank 4-up perforated paper with the instructions on the back that you purchased. (Sage forms LW2BLANK4 Laser and LW2BK4DWS bundle with envelopes)
- All other copies are printed on plain paper. No forms will need to be ordered. See article 29689 Does the IRS/SSA require that I print my W-2s and W-3s on red official ink forms?
- Federal copies are printed on blank paper and print in a 2-up format. This substitute form on plain paper is accepted by the Social Security Administration. Preprinted red ink form is not required.
- Employer copies are recommended by Aatrix, to be printed on plain 4-up perforated paper as they need to have the ability to be easily separated.
- State copies print on plain paper and will print in the 4-up format.
NOTE: If your employee copy does not have the instructions on the back of the form you can print a copy for each employee using the Notice to Employee form from AATRIX website.
- W-3 is printed on plain paper. The red ink form is not required. No form needs to be purchased.
- A bundle (Sage Forms L99MBKDWS) is available that will include the Federal 1099-MISC and 1096 red forms as well as the plain perforated 4-up forms needed for processing the 1099-MISC forms in Sage BusinessWorks.
- The Federal 1099 (Copy A) is printed on the preprinted red forms (Sage Forms L99A) and will print two per page. The Federal 1096 form is also included with this package. The IRS requires you use the preprinted red ink form. Enhanced Tax Reporting will not print the form itself but merely fill in the fields with the vendor information and amounts.
- Recipient copy of both the 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC - Blank 4 part perforated form (Sage Forms L99BLANK4 or L99BK4DWS (with envelopes))
Note: The back of the blank form does not have the 1099-Misc instructions. During the processing for recipient copy the instructions will be available to print.
- State copy is printed on blank paper. System will prompt you to print to Blank 4 part perforated but please contact individual State agency for specific 1099 printing/perforation requirements. Some states do not require 1099s to be filed.
- Payer copy (Copy C) prints 4 recipients per sheet. Print to Plain Paper or Blank 4 part perforated.
- Please ensure enough forms are ordered for the Blank 4 part perforated forms as both the 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC will be printed using the blank 4-up forms.
- The Federal 1096 copy is printed on preprinted red forms. The IRS requires you use the preprinted red ink form. Enhanced Tax Reporting will not print the form itself but merely fill in the fields with the vendor information and amounts.
- State 1096 copy is printed on plain paper. No need to purchase forms.
Forms can be purchased from Sage Checks & Forms or select office supply stores.
Sage Checks & Forms can be reached at 800-617-3224, faxed at 800-688-5246, or on their website at https://www.sagechecks.com. For other contact options visit their contact us page.
The mailing address is:
Sage Checks and Forms
PO Box 351010
New Braunfels, TX 78135
When ordering from Sage Forms Department:
- For W-2's order LW2BLANK4 Laser or LW2BK4DWS bundle with envelopes.
- For 1099-MISC order L99BLANK4 or L99BK4DWS (with envelopes) for the 4 up forms. These are needed for printing the 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC.
- For 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income Federal Copy A (red) order product L99A this also includes 3 1096 forms (red).
- For the bundle that includes the 4-up Blank Sheet with the Federal 1099-MISC (red) and envelopes order L99MBKDWS.
- For the 1099-NEC Federal Copy A order L99NECA this also includes 3 1096 forms (red).
These forms are compatible with Sage BusinessWorks 2012 and higher.
1099-NEC support is included with Sage BusinessWorks 2021. We are currently researching if changes can be made to Sage BusinessWorks 2020 to support the 1099-NEC.