Dear Sage City Member
This blog article will cover Variable Barcodes that are used within Evolution Retail POS. This allows users to utilize the services of a scale device that is integrated with all applicable stock items for sale that are sold usually by weight and the price varies according to the quantity purchased by the customer.
In performing the above-mentioned function, you can understand why this is so useful in many retail environments. A big part of the retail segment that makes use of variable barcodes are FMCG establishments, which often means your common supermarkets, markets, and butchers to name a few.
These establishments use variable barcode labels on a daily basis to sell fresh produce by variable mass. This allows the consumer to seamlessly buy either 1 kilogram of produce in the same way that they would buy 100 kilograms of produce.
Below is an example of an Electronic label printing scale/Barcode Printer
Below are the requirements to setup this feature.
- Sage Evolution Application with the Retail POS solution needs to be installed and setup by your Sage business partner.
- Stock items on the system must all be updated with the correct / Valid prices.
- An Electric label printing scale must be installed with all applicable stock item codes from Sage 200 loaded onto it.
- Barcode scanner at till points.
The following settings will be Done on the Evolution back office to finalize the setup.
- Retail Point of Sale | Maintenance | Variable Barcodes
- Select the ADD button to capture the variable barcode details.
- Click on OK to save.
The following table helps in understanding the format of the variable barcode. Th example uses the Price type however the same principal will apply to the weight Type and the Attribute type.
Below is what an example of an actual barcode will look like.
Below is what an example of a variable price barcode setup as seen above.
- On the electronic scale select the item that you will be weighing.
- Place item on the scale and wait for reading.
- Once Item mass is confirmed by customer, choose to print Barcode from scale.
- Barcode is scanned at the till. This will now read the item code and the price or Item code and weight (QTY)
- Line can be confirmed on Retail POS and sale finalized.
The variable barcodes that Sage 200 makes use of is the GS1-128 format of barcodes. It is a global standard barcode with set parameters. To see more about this, click here.
Any scale/label printing device will work as long as it supports the GS1-128 format. There are many devices available on the market and the client using the solution will have to do the necessary research on the device that will best suit their needs.
Barcodes such as 2D or Data matrix barcodes will NOT work as variable barcodes. The use of variable barcodes on Sage 200 Retail POS allows users to integrate the important Scale as a retail tool with Sage 200 Evolution to make a more seamless pricing / labelling solution.