Last Updated: 26th October 2022
Return to Index page: Test system Build Diary index
What is a ”Build Diary”
A Build Diary simply describes the steps taken by Sage Support to perform a task or tasks on our internal test systems. Build diaries could be created for major multi-node installations, but may also just be describing the steps taken when installing a small hotfix, or anything in-between.
Why is this being shared
It may be useful for you to see the steps we have taken to create or implement some feature or installation, as this may highlight “gotcha’s”, issues encountered or just give you some guidance if you are planning something similar yourself.
You could potentially use these documents as the base for your own “Workplan document” (Described in “Overview of patching X3 and supporting technologies”) when you are planning your own activities
This document is aimed at Sage X3 Certified Technical consultants. Sage prescribe that X3 system installation, maintenance, migrations, etc. should be performed by suitably qualified Sage X3 consultants. The prerequisite consideration would be for them to have the latest “Sage X3 Certified Technical Consultant” certification. You can read more about the Sage X3 qualifications and requirements in Sage University
Additional things to note
- This document does NOT purport to illustrate “best practice” for the task being described
- The steps described will not necessarily be for a “perfect” task, as there may have been issues that needed to be overcome, worked around, or ignored
- The Sage internal test system has network and hardware configuration specific to Sage
- The Sage internal test system does not necessarily include a Windows Domain and has Sage sandbox specific Windows security setup, so operating system permissions are generally not discussed
- If you intend to use these notes as a guide for your own activities, use with caution and perform your own testing to ensure the described steps are suitable and identify any additional considerations that apply to your own situation
- Ensure you only install and use software you are licensed for
What does this Build Diary describe?
This build diary primarily describes migrating a V6 Patch 40 instance to Version 12 patch 31 (2022 R3)
See the attached PDF document “BuildDiary_V6_2022R3.pdf”0726.BuildDiary_V6_2022R3.pdf
If you find this document useful, or even if you don’t, we would be happy to hear your feedback