Downloads for Sage 50— Canadian Edition

The Sage 50 2020.1 downloads have been replaced.  See KB 100797 for the full product download and KB 102293 for the product update. Please remember that the hotfix for customers who have already downloaded and installed a 2020.1 update prior to today is available in KB article 102602.

Parents
  • We downloaded 2020.1 and have been able to open some companies but not all of them.  It does the endless loop.  I tried calling Sage but was not able to get through, told to call back.  Is there another problem and if so is there a fix?

  • Something I discovered in my initial "failed" update is a log file that gets created in the SAJ folder of the company that I was trying to update.  It's a text file that has is named with the date & time of when you ran the update.  It gives a blow by blow entry for every step of the update, and you can pretty much tell exactly where things went wrong because of the error messages logged in there.  In my case I could see it was having problems with connecting to the MySQL server (the amazing thing was seeing it try and fail the same thing over and over again - you would think they would write the install script that once a fatal error occurs, to stop trying at that point and report the error right away).

    Anyways, that file might give you some clues as to where the failures are occurring.  If you ever get through to support, I would think it would be something they would want to look at.

Reply
  • Something I discovered in my initial "failed" update is a log file that gets created in the SAJ folder of the company that I was trying to update.  It's a text file that has is named with the date & time of when you ran the update.  It gives a blow by blow entry for every step of the update, and you can pretty much tell exactly where things went wrong because of the error messages logged in there.  In my case I could see it was having problems with connecting to the MySQL server (the amazing thing was seeing it try and fail the same thing over and over again - you would think they would write the install script that once a fatal error occurs, to stop trying at that point and report the error right away).

    Anyways, that file might give you some clues as to where the failures are occurring.  If you ever get through to support, I would think it would be something they would want to look at.

Children
  • This update (2020.1) has been an epically BAD update...in the Accountant's Edition at any rate it fails to update client files at least 3 out of every 4 times I try. It's a mess. It's hard to tell how much Sage cares about this (and those in the SAN) as this has been going on for months now with no resolution.

    I've been using this forever and am not happy at all. Sage's way of telling us to move to their (poor IMNSHO) cloud product?

  • Hi Don: I am running 2020.1 Accountant's Edition, installed the .1 update when it first came out and have literally had no trouble with it. All of my data sets are stored on Sage Drive and I am back and forth with Sage Drive four or five times a day. Especially now that I am spending more time in my home office.

    I would like to know more about the concerns you are experiencing so I can keep a watch for them. From what you have said in your message I have not experienced these problems nor have any of my clients.

    I do not work for Sage. I am a big fan of Sage. I just try to learn as much about the problems others are experiencing for my own knowledge.  

  • I used to be a big fan of ... well, not exactly "Sage". I've used this program since it was built as "Bedford Accounting" back in the mid-1980s...and got taken over by progressively larger and less responsive organizations like Computer Associates (Accpac Simply Accounting) and now Sage (Simply Accounting > Sage xx).

    There used to be an extremely vibrant Accountants Forum that gradually got watered down and deleted due to negative comments about the program and its lack of change/improvement/development over time. (Like we still can't auto-generate a GST amount in a GJ? Can't pull reports over year-ends? etc). These have been issues since the start and have NEVER been addressed in the desktop version.

    Add to that the twice-yearly tax updates during which tweaks are made to data files. Well, sometimes those work and sometimes they don't. I just had to rebuild an entire group of files on a server because Sage 50 AE decided to trash the files. Still have no idea why.

    Fortunately I have good backups.

    Feedback from Sage has been minimal. While their HelpDesk has occasionally been useful in technical issues, the development team appears to have given up on the desktop version. The problem is that the "cloud" version is half-baked and simply (hah!) not suitable for public use as yet IMO (at least not for pros).

    It still beats "Q", but only just. Still, it works, and all my Excel and tax stuff is geared towards extracted Sage TBs/data.